We made our way back to OKC in September 2020 on Andre’s birthday road trip. It was just as cool as we remembered, and we actually had time to treat ourselves to another serving at Whiskey Cake. Don’t miss this awesome town!
Our trip to Oklahoma City back in June 2017 was inspired by my baby brother’s job. He was on a project in OKC, so Andre and I decided to visit him and check off another state. We didn’t get blown away by any tornadoes, so we’ll call it a win!
While we were visiting, he took us to some yummy food spots like Earl’s Rib Palace in Bricktown and Whisky Cake for some farm-to-table American dishes. We also rode around on some kite buggy’s, which we will have to retry with our Go Pro whenever we return. On a more somber note, we also visited the OKC Memorial from the 1995 bombing, which is setup to honor the victims with a memorial tree, seats for each, and a reflection pool.
For being a land-locked state, we saw quite a bit of water while we were there. In Bricktown, there is a canal going through the buildings and the ballpark area; it is truly a fabulous setup and great for an evening or afternoon stroll. If you walk far enough on the long stretch of sidewalks lining the canal, you’ll eventually run into the river and a free-standing white-water rafting training facility that caters to fun-seekers as well. Overall, we were pretty impressed with OKC, and plan to make a trip back in the near future. Check it out!
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
- CASUAL: Whiskey Cake – OKC, Earl’s Rib Palace, Café Cuvée
- DRESSY: Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse, Ranch Steakhouse, St. Mark’s Chop Room
- DESSERT: Cuppies and Joe, Capitals Ice Cream, Pie Junkie
WHERE WE WALK
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
- HISTORY/ARTS: Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, Oklahoma History Center, Oklahoma City Museum of Art, Civic Center Music Hall, National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Science Museum Oklahoma, 45th Infantry Division Museum, Museum of Osteology, American Banjo Museum
- SPORTS: Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Chesapeake Energy Arena
- ATTRACTIONS: Centennial Land Run Monument, Oklahoma City Zoo, Myriad Botanical Gardens, Oklahoma State Capitol