Whether you want to spend the day at a popular beach, isolated beach, downtown, small town, or on the water, you can find what you’re looking for in Jacksonville. It happens to be the biggest city in the USA by landmass, not population. The city is also strategically placed between other hot areas if you’re willing to drive a few hours; for us, that makes it an ideal spot ;).
When we first moved down to Florida in 2019, we checked-in to the sleepy town of Mayport, which is a more isolated beach area. However, we moved inland the following year, so we’re closer to Jax Beach now, which is a little more lively; the beach is just down the street from us, and it has a pier to fish or watch the surfers. Amelia, Fernandina, Ponte Vedra and St. Augustine are just outside of Jacksonville, and they have other beach areas we’ve fallen in love with as well.
The downtown scene is a little bit away from us, but there is a river walk on both sides. Jacksonville Landing officially closed at the end of 2019, so it is in a bit of a transition state at the moment. If you’re looking for a shopping experience, you’ll want make your way to St. Johns Town Center, which is where we now live. They have a bunch of upscale and mid-level shops along with delicious food options.
Lastly, when you make your way down to the beaches, make sure you check out the food spots lining Jax, Atlantic, and Neptune. This is our favorite place so far, and it helps that it is around the corner from us. We hope you enjoy our city!
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
• CASUAL: Sake House Beach, M Shack, Singletons
• DRESSY: Mezza Luna, Azurea at One Ocean, Midtown Table
• DESSERT: Bambino Scoops, Whit’s Frozen Custard, Amaretti Desserts
WHERE WE WALK
• MULTI: Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park
• FULL: Huguenot Memorial Park
• HALF: Riverwalk
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
• HISTORY/ARTS: Friendship Fountain, The Florida Theatre, Museum of Science and History, The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
• SPORTS: EverBank Field, Veterans Memorial Arena
• ATTRACTIONS: St Johns Town Center, Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens, iFly, Autobahn Jax, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jax Beach, Mayport Ferry