Hartwell is the place where Andre proposed, so of course it is another meaningful spot on our travel map.
My family used to have a place on the South Carolina side of the lake. We took Andre’s kids there back in 2015, and we both visited many times before and after that as well. Now that they have sold that spot, it has been a while since we’ve made it back up there, but it will forever hold many special memories in our hearts.
Whether we were jetting around on the sea-doos, chasing waterfalls, jumping off the big rock, cooking s’mores over the campfire, or chilling on the dock, it was always great to be at the lake! It’s a short drive to Clemson University if you’re in town for a game. Since it is on the South Carolina and Georgia border, you can find quite a bit to do in the surrounding areas.
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
• CASUAL: Racks Lakeside Bar & Grill, Full Circle Cafe, Waldrop’s Restaurant, Sandler’s Creek BBQ, Mi Casa Leon
• DRESSY: Sullivan’s Metropolitan Grill, Doolittle’s, The Galley Restaurant
• DESSERT: Hershbergers Bakery, Nutty Sweet Shop, Besto
WHERE WE WALK
• MULTI: Hart State Park
• FULL: Lake Hartwell State Park
• HALF: Tugaloo State Park
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
• HISTORY/ARTS: Lunney Museum, High Cotton Music Hall, Fort Hill Plantation, Bob Campbell Geology Museum, Anderson County Museum, Clemson Little Theatre
• SPORTS: Hartwell-Keowee Paddleboard & Kayak Co, Foxwood Hills Golf, Cateechee Golf Club, Clemson Memorial Stadium, Doug Kingsmore Stadium, Littlejohn Coliseum
• ATTRACTIONS: Riley Moore Falls, The Hart County Botanical Gardens, Carolina Bauernhaus Ales, Split Creek Farm, South Carolina Botanical Gardens, Palmetto Distillery