NOLA is one of our favorite places to visit and it was a repeat for our February 2019 trip; it was stop ten on the road trip mentioned in the Waco Birthday Trip post. The town always seems so alive, especially in the Jackson Square area around Mardi Gras. We seem to visit at that time on accident each year.
Our favorite discovery in NOLA as most people already know is Café Du Monde. Beignets should be their own food group. You MUST get one here, and you can try the others around town as well, but there is something extra special about Café Du Monde’s pastries. Andre also ordered jambalaya while we were in town, which is probably one of the most authentic dishes and well-worth a taste. Obviously the food opportunities in town are quite a draw for us.
On our first visit to the city, we took a horse and buggy tour through the French Quarters and our private guide shared the history of the locations that we passed along the way. As long as it is not hot out, I’d say that is a must do while you’re in town, and there are plenty of options to pick from if you go to Jackson Square. Just remember that you’ll have to climb up the stairs to see the river with it being below sea level.
FAVORITE FOOD FINDS
- CASUAL: Cafe Du Monde, Cochon: Cajun Southern Cooking, Tito’s Ceviche & Pisco
- DRESSY: Bistro Daisy, Emeril’s Restaurants, Commander’s Palace
- DESSERT: Bakery Bar, Sucre: A Sweet Boutique, Fry and Pie
WHERE WE WALK
- MULTI: New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park
- FULL: New Orleans City Park
- HALF: Louis Armstrong Park
ARTS AND ATTRACTIONS
- HISTORY/ARTS: New Orleans Museum of Art, Historic New Orleans Collection, The National WWII Museum
- SPORTS: Mercedes-Benz Superdome
- ATTRACTIONS: Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, Blaine Kern’s Mardie Gras World, RTA – Streetcars, Longue Vue House and Gardens, Our Sacred Stories, Old New Orleans Rum Distillery, NOLA Tropical Winery